As a beginner to search engine optimization (SEO) you need to understand that there is no magic way to rank your website in the first page of Google, Bing or Yahoo.
Search engines are governed by complex algorithms and it takes a lot of time and effort to ‘convince’ them that your website or web page deserves one of the top spots.
Nevertheless, there are certain rules you can follow to optimize your website and provide the search engine bots with the necessary signals.
While the web is floated with SEO tips and advice, most of the articles talk about SEO in a theoretical level and not how SEO can be applied in practice. In my opinion, this is why most website owners are confused and either they give up with SEO or simply do not get the expected results.
What you will read in this post is SEO advice that works. I have tested this strategy over the years on a number of websites with remarkable results.
Here is a summary of the most important SEO Tips:
- Optimize your page titles and meta descriptions
- Create SEO friendly URLS
- Add a breadcrumb menu to your internal pages
- Add internal links to your content
- Use headings and formatting options to make your pages easier to read
- Customize your 404 page
- Optimize your images
- Improve your page speed
- Get backlinks from other websites
- Make sure that your website is mobile friendly
- Create an XML sitemap and a User sitemap
- Improve the quality of your content
- Update your website with fresh content
- Check for broken links
- Use Google webmaster tools and analytics
Of course there are many other things you can do to help your website achieve better rankings, but the SEO tips presented below will give you a solid and reliable framework that is 100% safe (i.e. without taking any risks of getting a Google Penalty) and above all, it works.